Today, I will share a few thoughts on how we can connect with each other and help those struggling with this sometimes debilitating problem.
If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. – Ecclesiastes 4:10
Here are a few thoughts on how we are able to help our friends dealing with depression:
1)Listen with empathy. This is a universal antidote in many areas of hurt. Taking the time to stop and listen to your friend in challenging times (and in "normal" times) is always the right thing to do. Listening with empathy validates another's pain and distress and often leads to unique and creative solutions.
Listening allows you to learn the various nuances of their struggle. Try to listen in a way that helps you understand their perspective on God and life. Listening for clues to success can be an effective practical way to help. Listening can reveal and heal a heart.
God listens, Jesus was a master at listening, and so should we!
You will find the word "listen" 412 times in the Scriptures. Here are three to encourage you to listen to others:
After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. – Luke 2:46
To answer before listening— that is folly and shame. – Proverbs 18:13
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, – James 1:19
2) Use the Psalms to comfort. In chapter two of The Grief Journey, we discuss the God of Compassion and Comfort for the griever, usingPsalm 31. The Psalms are a rich collections of poetry, effectively reaching into the innermost areas of the heart to grant aid to the hurting.
Sometimes we shy away from using the Word to comfort because we either are unsure of a "proper" verse to use, or we don't want to appear trite and dismissive. But, using the Psalms can be an amazing comfort to those struggling with depression. The Psalms gently and powerfully speak to us in our most difficult times.
The Psalms can instruct us during difficult times when nothing else is getting through. I've heard many friends tell me (on the other side of depression), that the only thing they could hold on to was the Word. The promises of God are unfailing.
I will listen to what God the Lord says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants— but let them not turn to folly. – Psalm 85:8
The key here is sensitivity and timing. Pray for the ability to know when and how to share the Psalms with others. Don't barge in and overpower those struggling. Ask for permission before you share something. Find a few verses that seem to meet your friend where they are at that time. The Holy Spirit will guide you in this work. Thisarticlediscusses seven encouraging Psalms to battle depression.
3) Pray for and with your friend. When we don't know what to say or where to turn in the Bible,we pray. Or we pray before anything else we do. Prayer centers us on the goal of our faith – God. Instead of telling someone, "I'll pray for you" tell them you just prayed for them (after you've done so) and then continue to pray for your friend. When you see them, pull aside and pray.
- Disciples Today • Jul 27, 2021 Congratulations to these four disciples from our family of churches competing in the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games! Daniel Rowden, 23, UK | Men's 800M East London ICOC Team GB Profile From Major Surgery to National Champion: Daniel Rowden's Road to Athletic Victory Competing Round 1 – July 31 at 9:50am JST Sydney McLaughlin, 21, USA | Women's 400M Hurdles Resides in Los Angeles; grew up in the Central Jersey Church of Christ Sydney McLaughlin gives 'all glory to God' after setting 400m hurdles world record Competing Round 1 – July 31 at 9am JST Kristina Marie Knott, 25, Philippines | Women's 200M Orlando Church of Christ, Orlando, FL Holds the Philippine national record for women's 100M and 200M Competing Round 1 – August 2 at 10:30am JST Alia Atkinson, 32, Jamaica | Women's Swimming 100M Breaststroke Broward Church, Ft. Lauderdale, FL Competed July 25 Let's pray for these athletes and cheer them on in this incred
- Bro. Arasu - Dindigul Luke 19:10 " For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” Tirupur church had witnessed an incredible blessings from God as they started saving souls continuously during pandemic. God blessed the church with 7 new souls in last 6 months. This has been truly faith building and brought huge inspiration to all the disciples. Bro.Rozario who leads the church in Tirupur brought a radical plan of Bible reading and prayer at 5.30 in the morning daily. God-seeking friends were invited to join and they were also eagerly decided to join the morning devotions as they were learning to seek God in their own lives. God was working in their hearts. then the great news of God adding them into His family one by one, 6 of the new friends decided to accept JESUS in their life as their Savior. Another brother decided to come back to the fellowship after many long years. This was even more exciting for the disciples in that church. Though the disciples in the church h
- Article by Arasu. Celebration always bring immeasurable joy and unlimited love among us. Namakkal church celebrated their 1st Anniversary service to commemorate God's miracles in their lives. Life was not beds of roses for these brothers and sisters who wholeheartedly gave up their native jobs and moved to Namakkal district on July 19th 2020 to find jobs and as well as souls to be saved in God's kingdom. God blessed all of them with good job and comfortable accommodation. Their sacrifice reaped satisfiable harvest. The team worked hard to reach out to God seeking souls to be saved in the Kingdom of God. There were able to help 6 souls to seek God in their lives during pandemic. On July 25th 2021, the Church disciples gathered to remember & celebrate God and His miracles along with new friends, neighbors and relatives on their 1st Anniversary service . Bro.Paul & Sis.Ronnie (Leaders - Coimbatore Family of churches) visited Namakkal as their Special guest to deliver